Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Generous Spirit

Every third Saturday, I volunteer with my church to feed the homeless and hungry.  As I was getting ready to go downtown, I was pondering other ways to help these people other than proving a meal.  It occurred to me that a lot of them probably go without things that I consider to be necessities.  All kinds of ideas were swirling around in my head - little baggies of travel sized hygiene items, a shoe drive to provide shoes, mini bibles to hand out, etc.
I'll admit, there is always a battle raging in my heart when it comes to the homeless.  Part of me would give everything I have to a person in need, and another part of me would say that in doing so I would only be enabling the person.  I've been through hard times in life, some of my own doing and others that were beyond my control.  The same it true of the homeless population as well.  Some are there because they are trapped in a vicious cycle of addiction that has robbed them of the ability to make rational decisions.  Others have suffered losses that have placed them in a season of hardship.  And others suffer from mental illness that hampers their ability to provide for themselves.  I can identify with all of these things.

After we served the meal Saturday, I was talking with someone about our experiences volunteering and the desire to do more.  She said that her small group had considered doing a coat drive to provide coats for the needy, but had decided not to do it because the people would probably just get the coats and turn around and sell them.  She said that they probably even sell the extra plates of food we pass out at the end of each meal.  I'd like to say that I was appalled by this way of thinking, but like I said, I struggle with this way of thinking too.  And the reality is that some of them will do that, but what about the ones that don't?  That act of kindness could be the thing that makes Jesus real to ONE person, and that should be my focus.  So what are we to do?

I immediately thought of the verse my daughter and I taped up in the shower a couple of weeks ago for her to memorize (she likes to sing them in the shower):
"I tell you the truth, anything you did for even the least of my people here, you also did for Me."  Matthew 25:40  (NCV)
And that settles it.  God has called me to minister to this group of people, and that is what I am supposed to do out of obedience to Him.  I am not called to judge them, I am called to seek Him.  He will guide me into what is right and give me the discernment to know the best path to take.  My job is to trust Him.

I love the way God orchestrates things!  I put that verse up for my daughter, but, God used it on me... my Small Group Study this week is Chapter 5 of "It's No Secret" by Rachel Olsen and is all about our call to live generously.

You think God is trying to tell me something??  I do.

I am supposed to be generous not only to the needy, but also to those who are close to me - my husband, children, family, and friends.  Each of these people will benefit, in some way, from my generous spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment