Friday, March 18, 2011

Out of My Comfort Zone

Whew, God has really been giving me a spiritual workout lately! It came to a head last night when He decided to pull a funny on me and take me way out of my comfort zone.

Earlier this week, I was talking to a friend of mine about how we don't like to pray out-loud in front of other people - actually, I can't even do it alone. I'm more of a journal-er...I just have too many thoughts swirling around in this head of mine and have a hard time letting them out on the spot in a way that makes sense. When I write things down it seems to slow my mind down because it has to stay in line with my pen. Can anyone relate to this, or are my friend and I the only one's on the planet with this issue?

So anyway, last night in my Advocate Training Class, we were done with our discussion and it was time for the closing prayer. I will be doggoned if the leader didn't look right at me and ask me to pray! I almost fell out of my chair...I have been going to group Bible Studies for YEARS and no one has ever asked me to pray!! Panic set in and the word "No" immediately and instinctively popped out of my mouth - my body went into survival mode. LOL - the leader had this look of shock on her face and I knew I had to correct the situation. My mind went back to my conversation with my friend and I knew that God set this up. I had this vision of Him sitting on His Throne in Heaven with His hand on His chin slowly shaking His head.

I told the leader I would pray, but I wanted to apologize in advance if it didn't make any sense. Then I begged God to help me! The next part has me cracking up so hard that it may take a while for me to find the right words to type. I bowed my head and cleared my throat and the word "Lord" came out of my mouth so loud and with such force that anyone who may have been tempted to daydream or think about other things while I prayed was undoubtably snapped to attention. I even scared myself! I am laughing so hard right now... I hope if you are reading this you get it and I haven't just spent 20 minutes telling a "you had to be there" story.  The rest of the prayer went fine, and I'm pretty sure it made sense - when I opened my eyes, no one was staring at me with their mouths wide open.

The reason I'm telling you this is that I love that my God is a God who will stretch my limits and push my boundaries.  He is never content to let me pick a comfy spot and stay put.
"You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as You promised.  I believe in Your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge.  I used to wander off until You disciplined me; but now I closely follow Your Word.  You are good and You only do good; teach me Your principles."  Psalm 119:65-68




No comments:

Post a Comment